About the Guild

HISTORY & Constitution

about-us

The Gwent Guild was formed in 1951 by Enid Russ who taught textiles at Newport Art College. The first meeting place was above the Wallace Jones furniture shop near to Newport train station and later the Guild met in rooms above the old county hall in Pentonville. Lady Raglan was the first Chair. In the late 1950s the Gwent Guild became affiliated to the Association of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers. Members travelled around the country to attend the Association's activities and this led to friendships with other local guilds. Joint meetings and exhibitions were held with Gloucester, Bath and Salisbury guilds.

The premises in Pentonville were taken over by the Citizens Advice Bureau so the Gwent Guild moved first to a house on Christchurch Road and then to a room above a garage owned by a friend of one of the members. When the Guild’s equipment was moved in it became clear that the space was too small, so the Gwent Guild moved to Oxford House, Risca.

The last workshop in Risca was held on 11 July 1991 and a few days later the Guild moved into a room of its own at Greenmeadow Community Farm, Cwmbran. We have been there ever since and moved into our current ground floor workroom in May 2010.

For Constitution click HERE

Upcoming Events

No events found

Where we meet

Greenmeadow Community Farm

Tuesdays 10-2
Thursdays 10-2  
Saturdays 10-2

Contact Us

Secretary: Gillian Thomas
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Telephone: 01633 220103

Gwent Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers

lottery

Follow us on Facebook

follow-the-guild-on-facebook